Time of Payment - Schedule Cancellation
Special Circumstances Regarding Veterans' Educational Benefits
In compliance with the requirements of federal law contained at 38 USC §3679(e), the University of Georgia permits any covered individual to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the covered individual provides to the educational institution a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under 38 USC Chapters 31 or 33 and ending on the earlier of the following dates:
- The date on which payment from the VA is made to the institution.
- 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following receipt of the certificate of eligibility.
Covered individuals are required to:
- submit a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance no later than a student’s first day of classes in their first term of enrollment
- submit a written request to use such entitlement no later than a student’s first day
of classes in their first term of enrollment
- in the event requested by the Office of the Registrar, provide additional information as necessary for the proper certification of enrollment
Provided that a covered individual has complied with the above three requirements, the University of Georgia will not impose any penalty, including:
- the assessment of late fees
- the denial of access to classes, libraries or other institutional facilities
- the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet their financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement of funding from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs under 38 USC Chapter 31 or 38 USC Chapter 33. However, the University of Georgia may require a covered individual to pay an amount equal to the difference between the covered individual’s financial obligation to the University and the amount of the education benefit disbursement from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs.
- A covered individual for purposes of this section is any individual who is entitled to educational assistance under 38 USC Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, or 38 USC Chapter 33 - Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits.
- A certificate of eligibility can also include a "Statement of Benefits" obtained from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs' website - eBenefits, or a VAF 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes.
- For more information on utilizing VA Educational Benefits, please visit the Veterans page of the Office of the Registrar’s website.