Enrollment and Degree Verification
**Please note: enrollment verifications, including transient letters, are available
for request on the Transcript & Enrollment Verification section found on the Student
Menu. The Office of the Registrar is currently only able to send these requests by
fax or mail. Please allow one to two business days for processing.
Enrollment and/or degree verification is the process by which a student’s enrollment and/or degree status at the University of Georgia is verified to third parties.
Please note that requests cannot be made over the phone and enrollment verifications cannot be emailed. The Office of the Registrar is unable to provide enrollment verifications for future terms.
All requests are processed within one to two business days of the Office of the Registrar receiving the request. The status of the enrollment verification can be verified in Athena under the Student menu in the Transcript & Enrollment Verification section.
Third parties such as employers, law schools, and study abroad programs may require applicants to submit a Dean’s Certification, a form that provides information on academic as well as disciplinary issues students may have encountered as undergraduates. If a third party requires a Dean’s Certification, please take or mail your the form to: Office of the Registrar, University of Georgia, 104 Caldwell Hall, Athens, GA 30602.
Once the form has been completed by the Office of the Registrar (degree and enrollment verification/academic standing), the Office of Student Conduct (disciplinary issues), the Office of Instruction (academic integrity issues), and the Equal Opportunity Office (discrimination and harassment issues), the form will be returned to the Office of the Registrar for final processing and mailing. Please note that this process may take several weeks to complete.
Guidelines for Students
The University of Georgia contracts with the National Student Clearinghouse to serve
as the University's authorized certifying school official for providing enrollment
and degree verification for loan deferral purposes, credit card companies, and credit
approval agencies. There is no charge for this service.
Students may also request an enrollment verification the following ways:
- Log on to https://athena.uga.edu
- Click on Student tab, then "Student Records," then "Request for Enrollment Verification."
- Complete and submit the form.
- Students may also send a written and signed request to the Office of the Registrar
via either USPS or fax.
- Please include name, date of birth, local address, which items that need including in the verification, and a recipient address. Please note that the Office of the Registrar is unable to process requests that do not contain a signature.
- Mail requests to:
Office of the Registrar
University of Georgia
104 Caldwell Hall
Athens, GA 30602-6113
- Fax requests to 706-583-0319.
- Students may also visit the Office of the Registrar in person with a photo ID to make a request. Please note that requests made in person may take up to two business days to process during specific times during the academic year.
The following types of enrollment verifications can be requested:
- Current Enrollment: Includes student’s enrollment information for the current term, degree program(s),
anticipated graduation date, degree(s) earned, and academic standing.
- Current Enrollment w/GPA: Includes student’s enrollment information for the current term, degree program(s),
anticipated graduation date, degree(s) earned, academic standing, and GPA.
- Enrollment History: Includes student’s enrollment history, degree program(s), anticipated graduation
date, degree(s) earned, and academic standing.
- Enrollment History w/GPA: Includes student’s enrollment history, degree program(s), anticipated graduation
date, degree(s) earned, academic standing, and GPA.
- General Enrollment Info: Includes student’s enrollment history, degree program(s), anticipated graduation
date, and degree(s) earned.
- Transient Letter: Includes student’s academic standing and a recommendation for transient admission.
Mailed requests are processed within one to two business days of receipt of the request. Requests made via Athena to be picked up can be printed as soon as the request is submitted. Requests submitted in-person to the Office of the Registrar can be printed and picked up the same day. Requests made in-person for verifications to be faxed cannot be guaranteed to be faxed while a student is waiting but will be faxed within one business day.
Guidelines for Parents
Parents may submit a written request via mail or fax for an enrollment verification for their son or daughter without the signature of the student for any of the following information:
- Enrollment status for current term
- Current school, degree, and major
- Anticipated graduation term
- Complete enrollment history at UGA
- Degree(s) awarded at UGA
Parents may request that the verification be mailed to them or to a third party. Students may also indicate that their parents will pick up the verification in person in the Office of the Registrar, in which case a photo ID will be required.
Please note that if a student has placed a FERPA restriction on his or her student record, the Office of the Registrar will not issue an enrollment verification without a signed release from the student. Students are encouraged to submit an enrollment verification request via Athena.
Guidelines for Third Parties
The National Student Clearinghouse acts on behalf of the University of Georgia to provide degree verification data to such agencies as third-party verifiers, credit card companies, and credit approval agencies. Please contact the National Student Clearinghouse with questions at http://www.studentclearinghouse.org.
For Undergraduate/Prof Students (Fall and Spring Semesters):
12 or more hours (fulltime), 9 to 11.99 hours (3/4 time), 6 to 8.99 (halftime)
For Graduate Students (Fall and Spring Semesters):
9 or more hours (fulltime), 7 to 8.99 (3/4 time), 5 to 6.99 (halftime)
For all students in the Summer Semester:
6 or more hours (fulltime), 3 to 5.99 (halftime)
Please note that courses with an Audit status are not used to determine enrollment status. As well, hours required for student financial aid purposes will vary in some cases. Check Student Financial Aid Policies or call the Office of Student Financial Aid at 706-542-6147 for more information.
Background investigators requesting an enrollment verification on behalf of a UGA student should email firstname.lastname@example.org with a signed release and written request. Please note that enrollment verifications are currently only available to be sent via fax or mail. Processing time is three to five business days for these requests.