Some employers, law schools, and study abroad programs require applicants to submit a form that is called a Dean’s Certification that provides information on academic as well as disciplinary issues students may have encountered as undergraduates. If a school requires a Dean’s Certification, please take or mail your form to: Office of the Registrar, University of Georgia, 105 Holmes/Hunter Academic Building, Athens, GA 30602.
Once the form has been completed by the Office of the Registrar (degree and enrollment verification/academic standing), the Office of Student Conduct (disciplinary issues), the Office of the Vice President for Instruction (academic integrity issues), and the Equal Opportunity Office (discrimination and harassment issues), it will be returned to the Office of the Registrar for final processing and mailing. The entire process can take several weeks.
Enrollment and Degree Verification
Enrollment and/or degree verification is the process by which a student’s enrollment and/or degree status at the University of Georgia is verified to third parties.
Please note: requests cannot be made over the phone and letters of verifications cannot be emailed.
All requests are processed within three (3) business days of receipt of the request.
Guidelines for Students
The University of Georgia contracts with the National Student Clearinghouse to serve
as our agent and authorized certifying school official for providing enrollment and
degree verification for loan deferral purposes, credit card companies, and credit
approval agencies.There is no charge to the student for this service.
Students may also request an enrollment verification.
- Through Athena:
- Log on to https://athena.uga.edu
- Click on Student tab, then Student Records, then Request for Enrollment Verification.
- Complete and submit the form.
- Students may also send a written request to the Office of the Registrar via either
the USPS or fax.
- Please include your name, date of birth, your local address, which items you want included in the verification, and where you want it sent. Please be sure to sign the request. We are unable to process your request without your signature.
- Mail your request to:
Office of the Registrar
University of Georgia
Holmes/Hunter Academic Bldg
Athens, GA 30602-6113
- Fax your request to 706-583-8162.
- Students may also visit the Office of the Registrar in person with your photo ID to make a request.
Please note: requests cannot be made over the phone and letters of verification cannot be emailed.
The following types of enrollment verifications can be requested:
- Current Enrollment: includes student’s enrollment information for the current term, degree program(s),
anticipated graduation date, degree(s) earned, and academic standing.
- Current Enrollment w/GPA: includes student’s enrollment information for the current term, degree program(s),
anticipated graduation date, degree(s) earned, academic standing, and GPA.
- Enrollment History: includes student’s enrollment history, degree program(s), anticipated graduation
date, degree(s) earned, and academic standing.
- Enrollment History w/GPA: includes student’s enrollment history, degree program(s), anticipated graduation
date, degree(s) earned, academic standing, and GPA.
- General Enrollment Info: includes student’s enrollment history, degree program(s), anticipated graduation
date, and degree(s) earned.
- Transient Letter: includes student’s academic standing and a recommendation for transient admission.
Mailed requests are processed within three (3) business days of receipt of the request. Requests via Athena to be picked up can be printed as soon as the request is submitted. Requests submitted in person to the Office of the Registrar can be printed while you wait if you want to take the verification with you. Requests made in person for verifications to be faxed cannot be guaranteed to be faxed while you wait but will be faxed within one business day.
Guidelines for Parents
Parents may submit a written request via mail or fax for an enrollment verification for their son or daughter without the signature of the student, for any of the following information:
- Enrollment status for current term (full, three quarter, or part time)
- Current school, degree, and major
- Anticipated graduation term
- Complete enrollment history at UGA
- Degree(s) awarded at UGA
You may request that the verification be mailed to you or to a third party. Students may also indicate that you will pick up the verification in person in the Office of the Registrar (be sure to bring a photo ID).
Please note: if your student has placed a FERPA restriction on his or her student record, we will not be able to provide enrollment verification without a signed release from the student. The student should be encouraged to submit the enrollment verification request via Athena.
Guidelines for Third Parties
The National Student Clearinghouse acts on behalf of the University of Georgia to provide degree verification data to such agencies as third-party verifiers, credit card companies and credit approval agencies. Please contact the National Student Clearinghouse at http://www.studentclearinghouse.org.
For Undergraduate/Prof Students (Fall and Spring Semesters):
12 or more hours (fulltime), 9 to 11.99 hours (3/4 time), 6 to 8.99 (halftime)
For Graduate Students (Fall and Spring Semesters):
9 or more hours (fulltime), 7 to 8.99 (3/4 time), 5 to 6.99 (halftime)
For all students in the Summer Semester:
6 or more hours (fulltime), 3 to 5.99 (halftime)
Please note: Audit courses are not used to determine enrollment status.
Also, hours required for financial aid purposes will vary in some cases. Check Student Financial Aid Policies or call the Office of Student Financial Aid at 706-542-6147 for more information.