Schedule Adjustments

  • Students may drop undergraduate-level courses (0097 - 5999) and graduate-level courses (6000 - 9999) until midnight of the fifth business day of a semester.
  • Classes which are dropped during this time period are not included on your academic record (transcript).  Tuition and fees are not charged for dropped courses.


  • Students may add undergraduate-level courses (0097 - 5999) and graduate-level courses (6000 - 9999) until midnight of the fifth business day of a semester.
  • Individual Class Withdrawal:Students may withdraw from individual classes via Athena. Students may withdraw from individual classes after the appropriate drop deadline and until two weeks after mid semester.  Check the Academic Calendar for the specific deadline each semester.

As of Fall 2014, students who withdraw from courses before the withdrawal deadline will receive a W grade. Withdrawals from courses will not be permitted after the withdrawal deadline except in cases of hardship as determined by the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs.

Students may drop one, some, or all of their classes during the drop/add period. Courses dropped in this manner do not appear on a student’s transcript and are not considered as hours attempted for financial aid purposes. No grade is assigned for such courses. However, a student who wishes to withdraw from a course after the last day of the drop period for a term must withdraw through Athena.

An instructor may withdraw a student from a course due to excessive absences as defined in the course syllabus. If such a withdrawal occurs after the drop/add period, the instructor can contact the Office of the Registrar about withdrawing the student.

If a withdrawal is initiated by someone other than the instructor, the instructor and the student will be notified by the Office of the Registrar of the withdrawal.

All probation and exclusion rules apply regardless of the circumstances of the withdrawal. For more information, see General Academic Regulations related to Academic Probation and Academic Dismissal.

No student shall be withdrawn from a course for lack of a prerequisite after the end of one calendar week from the beginning of the term.

If a student experiences significant personal hardship (e.g., medical or family emergency, prolonged illness), the Division of Student Affairs can facilitate a hardship withdrawal from all courses for which a student is registered for the term. A hardship withdrawal cannot be used to selectively withdraw from some courses while remaining enrolled in other courses. If sufficient documentation is provided and a hardship withdrawal is approved by Student Affiars, they will work with each instructor to assign a withdrawal grade for each course.

No refund is available for a reduction in hours due to individual course withdrawals that occur after the drop/add period.

Students should be aware that a reduction in their hours may affect their Student Financial Aid, HOPE scholarship, athletic and ticket eligibility, University housing accommodations, use of University resources and access to University facilities, immigration status for international students, Veterans Educational Benefits, and the loss of full-time student status, which can lead to health insurance cancellation. Students should contact the appropriate office and their academic advisor with questions about the impact of their withdrawal from a course before initiating a withdrawal. Students who are returning from academic dismissal are advised to consult with their academic advisor prior to withdrawal because violation of the minimum enrollment requirements can lead to a second dismissal from the University. Veterans and dependents of veterans who receive educational benefits must notify the Veterans Education Benefits Area in the Office of the Registrar of any course load reductions.

Credit Limits

Undergraduate students may register for a maximum of 18 hours during the fall, spring, and summer.  Professional students and graduate students should refer to their respective bulletins for minimum/maximum course loads policies.

Students may request a change in credit limit by obtaining approval from their advisors.