Candidates for graduation must apply to graduate using the graduation application available in Athena by the withdrawal deadline of the semester in which they intend to graduate. Students in graduate programs should consult The Graduate School for specific deadlines. In the graduation application, the candidate will be asked to confirm how he or she would like his or her name printed on the diploma(s) and to which address the diploma(s) should be mailed. If a student needs to officially change his or her legal name with UGA, a Name Change Form (PDF) needs to be submitted to the Office of the Registrar along with the required documentation.
It is the student’s responsibility to apply for graduation and to ensure that the correct address is on file with the Office of the Registrar. Diplomas are typically mailed within 4 to 6 weeks after the official graduation date.
The University of Georgia only issues one size diploma regardless of school degree or major of the student. The size is 12 inches by 15 inches, and the information printed on the diploma is summarized below:
- Undergraduates with one major:
- Degree, major, University honors, and graduation date will be reflected on the diploma.
- Undergraduates with multiple majors:
- If requirements for multiple majors are completed simultaneously, one diploma reflecting
the degree, multiple majors, University honors, and graduation date will be issued.
- If requirements for multiple majors are completed during different semesters, a diploma for each major will be issued. The individual diplomas will reflect the degree, major, University honors, and the graduation date corresponding to the major.
- If requirements for multiple majors are completed simultaneously, one diploma reflecting the degree, multiple majors, University honors, and graduation date will be issued.
- Graduate Students:
- Only degree and graduation date will be reflected on the diploma.
- If requirements for multiple degrees are completed within the same term, a diploma for each degree will be issued.
*Please note: students who have an outstanding debt with the University will not receive their diplomas until the debt has been satisfied. Contacting the Registrar's Office once this has been done will result in diplomas being mailed. Diplomas are held for one year after which a replacement diploma must be ordered.
The University of Georgia issues only one diploma for each degree awarded. A replacement diploma may be requested only if the original diploma has been lost, damaged, destroyed or if it is required for employment or educational purposes. Replacement diplomas will be issued with the current office holders’ signatures (President, Dean, Registrar, Chancellor) and will be processed within two (2) business weeks.
Apostille and the Great Seal
Official documents issued in one country and intended to be used in another country must be authenticated in order to be recognized as valid in the foreign country. If the foreign country is a member of The Hague Convention, an Apostille is required. If the foreign country is not a member of The Hague Convention, the Great Seal is normally required.